Buffalo Wing Cupcakes
Just in time for Super Bowl (no one cares about) Sunday. I hate when people use this phrase because it doesn’t really make sense if you think about, but I could care less about the big game. I’m in it for the commercials, free booze, and the snack foods my friends only prepare for times like these.
Speaking of, if you’re hosting a party, here’s an awesome appetizer to try. These could quite possibly be the coolest cupcakes I’ve ever seen, and if I had any baking prowess, I’d be all over it.
Buffalo Chicken Cupcake Recipe
Makes 10 cupcakes
For the cake:
•1/2 cup hot sauce (I recommend a hot sauce that is typically used for Buffalo chicken. Frank’s is the classic choice. I used Bella’s Medium Wing Sauce.)
•1/4 cup unsalted butter
•1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
•1 cup brown sugar
•1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream
•1 cup flour
•1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
For the blue cheese buttercream frosting:
•2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
•1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
•2 cups powdered sugar
To make the cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a medium-sized saucepan on medium-high heat, heat hot sauce and butter until butter is melted.
3. Add the blue cheese and mix periodically until blue cheese is melted.
4. Remove from heat and mix in the sugar.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and egg.
6. Once the hot sauce mixture is cool enough to touch, mix the sour cream mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
7. In another small bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda.
8. Fold the flour mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
9. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
10. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
To make the blue cheese buttercream frosting:
1. Mix blue cheese on high speed until smooth.
2. Add the unsalted butter and mix on high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
3. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar until fully combined.
4. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
The Buffalo Chicken Drummette on Top of the Buffalo Chicken Super Bowl Cupcakes
Just before serving, top the cupcakes with buffalo chicken wings or buffalo chicken drummettes. Imagine the frosting as a sweet blue cheese dip and go to town.
This girl is a genius!
Oh yeah, and Tom Brady is overrated.